The United States is doubtlessly the first world super power and what happens inside the U.S is widely observed by the whole world. On the six of November, the U.S voters elected congressmen and women. In the U.S political system, this election is paramount because it can become a threat for the President. Here is what you need to know about these key elections !
- The Democrat won the House of representatives. They indeed reached the majority composed of 218 seats. On the other side, the senate is kept between the hands of Republicans.
- Judicial cases : the Democrats are effectively giving themselves the opportunity to launch an impeachment procedure against the President. But this explosive option is certainly doomed to failure in a Republican Senate, which has the final say. A two-thirds majority of the Senators would have to vote on the articles to condemn the President. Nevertheless, the democratic majority has now the ability to elaborate committees and to further investigate on a certain number of issues.
- The passing of laws : Over the next two years, the passing of laws will be complicated. On many topic, no laws will pass because of this political difference between the House and the Senate.
- Foreign policy : the House of Representative doesn’t have big powers concerning foreign policy. However, its influence can be important when it comes to committees. For instance, as Joshua Kurlantzick noted ” They likely will attempt to relaunch legislation that would bolster sanctions on any actors, such as Russian actors, who interfere in U.S. elections in the future “. (https://www.cfr.org/blog/how-will-midterm-elections-affect-us-foreign-policy). Then, it’s likely that Democrats will do their best to be tougher against Saudi Arabia and other Human Rights issues all over the world. In foreign policy many people blames the U.S (http://www.young-diplomats.com/north-korea-how-donald-trumps-diplomacy-is-a-threat-to-peace/), and this slight victory of the Democrats is well seen by critics.
- Conclusion : To sum up, Democrats as well as Republicans did win a victory on the 6th of November. Democrats gained the opportunity to block measures and laws in the parliamentary affairs. Comparatively to what they had before, we could see that as a victory. On the other side, Republicans has confirmed that they weren’t off the game and that an important part of the country is behind the President.